Today, thousands of tired and depressed human beings still function under the believe that to be healthy -and by association happy -you need to weigh the perfect goal weight, consume the perfect quantity of kilojoules and look perfect every moment and in every outfit. In a less than perfect world this illusion just does not exist. Beauty is still in the eye of the beholder and even if you are perfect to some, you will still be less so to others.
My name is Leneri Brophy and I have a Bachelor of science degree in Nutrition and Psychology from the NWU obtained in 2008. I also have a Higher certificate in personal training from IIFT obtained in 2016. My highest achievement to date however is that God singled me out to raise the angelic Noah Brian Brophy an experience that is changing and shaping the way in which I now regard and approach fitness. I love being a mom and I approach it with the same zeal as I approach a fit lifestyle. That is why Noah turns into a dumbbell, kettlebell and weight plate helping me out in my “mommy-and-me” exercise series😉
I want to embrace a very different Philosophy, in a very hectic and goal driven fitness society, which is;
a healthy lifestyle is achieved every single time you make a healthier food choice, grind for an hour in the gym, enjoy mother nature or a good friend’s company, by going for a walk or just simply choosing a more positive outlook in a difficult situation. ‘Mindful health and fitness’ if you will.
An Attitude and state of being rather than an aim to aspire to. You are working towards obtainable goals but you are also living your life in such a way that has countless enjoyable moments and maintainable and manageable objectives.
The goal is then to build a life that finds the magic in the mundane whilst building rock hard abs and enjoying every step of the way😉
- Always listen to your body. Learn when you are hungry, thirsty or tired. Some days taking it easy on your training program is ok. Tomorrow you’ll wake up refreshed and find it’s time for beauty to beast!
- Take care of yourself and never train as a punishment. Rather use exercise as a way of letting off steam, spending some me-time or training for a specific sporting event (if you need some extra motivation).
- Praise the Lord for your health daily and remind yourself you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139.
- Always know that there is more to health than food and exercise. Healthy Stress levels, intimate friendships and relationships, career satisfaction, family support and your relationship with our Lord all contributes to living your best life.
- Have a growth mindset with specific goals in mind.
- Uplift and celebrate other people in their health successes.
- Never succumb to short term unhealthy ways of training or losing weight. Rather opt for long-term sustainable meal-plans and training programs that will allow you to enjoy the delicious, pleasurable foods at your family reunion😉
- Always enjoy the journey! “Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
Till next time.